Subscribe to Chaminade Silversword Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook

Stories Written by Lee Bailey

Glacen Florita pulls up for the jumper. Florita also snagged 13 rebounds against UH-Hilo.

Lady Swords capture overtime thriller

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
December 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Chaminade women’s basketball team opened up conference play with a bang getting a win in an overtime thriller against the UH-Hilo Vulcans with a final score of 73-69. The Lady Swords (1-4 overall, 1-0 conference) were able to overcome an early 16-point deficit in order to get their first... (more...)

Business trip to Maui

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
December 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

The EA Sports Maui Invitational is a very exciting and fun experience for players as well as spectators. Many fans and parents come from all over the country to support their respective universities during a laid-back week vacation in Maui. Unfortunately for the players, especially here at... (more...)

Women’s volleyball season wrap-up

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
November 22, 2013
Filed under Sports

Chaminade’s womens volleyball team had a season full of ups and downs showing bright spots of what is to come for the Lady Swords. The team finished with an overall record of 9-16 and 6-14 in PacWest conference play putting them at an 11th place finish out of 13 schools. The bright spot of... (more...)

Shana Kawakami blows by defender

Photo by: Kevin Hashiro

Women’s basketball prepared for 2013-14 season

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
November 15, 2013
Filed under Sports

In the upcoming 2013-14 basketball season the Chaminade women’s basketball team is looking forward to making a push to become a competitive team in the Pacific West Conference. This change will come in a large part due to the bigger role of returners and the many new faces that the Lady Swords... (more...)

Myth buster: You are not what you eat

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
October 25, 2013
Filed under News

Many college students are a victim of the well known “freshman 15” due to a lack of knowledge or discipline when it comes to what and when they should be eating when they finally get out the house and on their own. Nutritionist Dr. Maria Stewart hosted an hour long nutrition workshop on... (more...)

2013-2014 Women's Volleyball Team

Lady Swords fall to Sea Warriors in 4

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
October 16, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Last Saturday, the Chaminade women’s volleyball team returned to conference action on the island against their cross-town rival, the HPU Sea Warriors. Coming in to Saturday’s game, the Lady Silverswords have taken 12 straight losses to the Sea Warriors, which is a powerhouse in the PacWest... (more...)

Top 10: Worst college mascots

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
October 7, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Many colleges around the country are known and recognized by their prominent mascot, such as the Kentucky Wildcats, Michigan Wolverines, and of course our beloved Chaminade Silversword. Unfortunately some universities aren’t as lucky as us and have “odder” mascots to say the least. Here... (more...)

New Chaminade athletics facilities

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
October 4, 2013
Filed under News, Sports, Top Stories

Chaminade athletics is making major moves to improve the athletics facilities and enhance the student-athlete experience. Between construction on campus and time accessibility improvements, the school is trying to take the entire athletics department to the next level. The athletics... (more...)

Alot feature 2

CUH sophomore handles ALOT.

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
September 23, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Chaminade student Brandon Espiritu has taken a huge step at the age of 19 by deciding to start his own clothing line named “ALOT.” This summer Espiritu who is from Guam and two of his friends, Kai Cryster of Seattle University (co-designer with Espiritu) and Tony Paulina from the University... (more...)

College football is back

Lee Bailey, Staff Writer
September 6, 2013
Filed under Sports

Week one in college football proved to be everything that it was hyped up to be with the loving fans, powerhouse teams and surprising upsets. Although many top 15 teams handled their business the big news from Week One came from upsets of FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) teams knocking... (more...)