Job fair gives CUH students a chance to get ahead

Chris Kanamu

These were some of the handouts that were given out at the job fair.

By Chris Kanamu, Staff Writer

Monday, Nov. 7, was Chaminade’s fall job fair. This job fair was tailored more toward those who were looking for part-time jobs and internships.

One of the hardest things to do in college is to find a job. It’s even more challenging when it comes to finding an internship. For those who have gone through the process, they will tell you that there is so much competition just to be considered. This job fair is one of the many ways Chaminade is trying to help its students get ahead in life. Instead of going out to find a job, the job comes to the students.

“I feel like sometimes, students don’t know where to look for a first job or internship,” said Andre Riddle, a volunteer with Club Delta, which helped sponsor the job fair. “I think that job fair was a good segue into helping them find the tools and resources to get either a part time job or internship.”

Even though some students weren’t in the market for a job or internship, they found it extremely helpful to know what potential employers are looking for when they are looking at applicants.

“It was a great opportunity that gave me a better insight as to what employers are looking for in potential employees,” said Nicole Faima, Chaminade’s student body vice president of finance. “It also showed me how I can better prepare myself for employers.”

There were a wide variety of employers students had to choose from. Everything from applying to a retail job at Bloomingdale’s to working for the National Security Agency was represented. Students also got a chance to apply to some great internship like Make-A-Wish foundation and Enterprise business internship.

“As a college student I was not looking for a full-time job especially since academics as well as extracurricular activities take up a lot of my time,” said Jenny Rose Anacan, a CUH student volunteer at the job fair. “It was great to know that while I was seeking for possible opportunities I would be able to still focus on being a student.”

Another advantage that the job fair provided to students was that they got to meet future employers face to face. It helped give students  a chance to show their face to potential employers and put a face to the name when they review a student’s application.

“It gives me a lot of opportunities for me to get a job since I am a full-time student,” said Andrew Ines, a Chaminade junior who attended the job fair. “The job fair allowed me to get my foot in the door and get my face recognized by the employers. I am glad that I had the opportunity to talk with the companies and organizations so that they would recognize me when I go for an interview.”