Students get closer with their Filipino roots

Chris Kanamu

group photo of all who attended

By Chris Kanamu, Staff Writer

October is Filipino History Month. The Filipino Club has been celebrating it by doing a number of events that spread the Filipino culture, and one of those events was a tinikling workshop that was held on Wednesday.

Tinikling is a traditional Filipino folk dance that involves four people and two bamboo sticks. Two of the dancers are responsible for clapping the two bamboo sticks together, while the other two dancers are jumping between them from side-to-side.

“I chose to the tinikling worship because I learned how to dance when the Filipino Club decided to take part in Chaminade’s Extravaganza and it was a lot of fun and hard work learning how to dance it,” said Ashlee Narravo, a Filipino Club member. “I wanted to help others learn too because it is such a fun dance to do.”

One of the main reasons why people came to this event was because they wanted to get closer to their Filipino roots. A lot people in attendance admitted they were out of touch with their roots and thought this would be a perfect way to reconnect and learn more about their culture.

“I choose to attend the tinikling workshop because I really wanted to connect with my Filipino roots,” said Pono Riddle, a junior at Chaminade. “My mom used to dance Filipino dances back in the day so that inspired me to try it out too.”

This workshop also helped, some of those in attendance, to share this experience with their family as well. For some, the event helped them remember how hard it was to move here from the Philippines and the struggles that their family faced.

“It help connect me to my roots,” said Cyana Andres, a Filipino Club member. “I shared it with my family and we all got a little taste of it. It kind of reminds me of the hard work that our grandparents went though because this dance is very active and labor like.”

Not only did this workshop help those who attended get in touch with their Filipino roots, but also it helped the Filipino club spread the culture around to those who were not of Filipino descent.

“If you know how to dance or have any interest, you should try it out,” said Riddle. “It helps spread the Filipino culture because it is all about perpetuating culture and passing it on to those who want to learn and pass it on, as well as those native to the culture.”

October has been packed with a lot of cultural events such as Pacific Island Review. Even though the Filipino Club did not perform, they still were able to spread their culture around the campus. It has help not only the club members learn more about the culture, but as well as other students too.

Even though October is coming to an end the Filipino Club has one more event planned for the students of Chaminade. It is called Halo-Haloween and is happening next Monday at noon. The Filipino Club will be giving out a Filipino desert called Halo-Halo for free to any Chaminade student.  It will be located in the Vi and Paul Loo Center.