FBI agent to speak at CUH about future careers

Ashley Onzuka

Through these doors are your first steps to a career in the FBI

By Ashley Onzuka, Staff Writer

An informational event for students who are potentially interested in a career with the FBI will be held on Thursday, March 2. FBI special agent Tyrone Arnold will be discussing two paths to the FBI, how to become an FBI agent and how to apply for a civilian job within the FBI. Examples of a civilian job include accountants or administration assistants.

Arnold will be speaking at Chaminade University in the Clarence T.C. Ching Conference Center located on the second floor of Eiben Hall at 2:30 p.m.

“It’s pretty simple but very informative,” said Megan Robison, Chaminade’s career specialist. “If we’re bringing somebody here, it’s not about promoting your organization. … It’s about telling our students who are interested in your organization, what their next steps are to make this their first job, or their second job, or their third job. … And that’s what I’m looking for.”

Arnold is an FBI recruiter who is mainly stationed in the Federal Bureau of Investigation building in Kapolei. However, he often travels to Seattle due to his responsibility for Washington’s recruitment as well.

Aside from information about future careers in the FBI, he will also discuss the internships that the FBI offers to students.

“He talks about what the internship process is like for the FBI and how you can intern all over the world,” said Robison. “… It’s a very selective process, but students who do take on the internship with the FBI are pretty much guaranteed a job for in the FBI [department] when they leave the internship, as long as they’re good.”

Although this event is mainly popular amongst the criminal justice and forensic science majors, the doors are open to all Chaminade students including undergraduates, graduates and PACE students of all majors. Arnold previously gave a presentation in late October 2016 and drew a crowd of 38 students, which is “a pretty big crowd for Chaminade,” according to Robison. Arnold usually holds a large event, such as this, once a year at Chaminade.

At past events, Arnold also provided informational packets that included everything covered during the presentation and essential websites. Robison has also made note that Arnold is easily accessible to students and gives them his card to encourage them to contact him for addition information or future questions.

The FBI Informational Event will be from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Doors will open at 2 p.m. for students to arrive and be seated before Arnold begins his presentation. His lecture will be approximately an hour, leaving the remaining 30 minutes open to students for any questions they may have.

“He kind of goes over everything you need,” Robison said. “When you leave, you know, ‘OK, this is my next step and this is everything I need to do in order to get there.’”