Club Fest Turnout

Millie+Mongalo%2C+Sierra+Iversen%2C+Taryn+Lopianetzky+and+Ka%E2%80%99ui+Perreira%2C+current+officers+of+Temana+Tahitian+Club%2C+were+ecstatic+about+recruiting+new+members+for+their+club.++

Ellissa Bio

Millie Mongalo, Sierra Iversen, Taryn Lopianetzky and Ka’ui Perreira, current officers of Temana Tahitian Club, were ecstatic about recruiting new members for their club.

By Ellissa Bio, Staff Writer

Club Fest, where campus clubs make their best pitch to students, happens twice a year. However, for the spring Club Fest held in the Henry Hall Courtyard on Jan. 20, the turnout and number in student participation wasn’t as high as previous years.

“Not a lot of students were aware that there was a Club Fest,” said Jolica Domdom, a senior officer for Sigma Tau Delta (Chaminade’s English Honor Society) and member of the Club Delta, Temana Tahitian Club and Communications Club. “Therefore the turnout wasn’t as popular as fall semester’s Club Fest.”

Some improvements recommended by students and club officers for next year were to get the word out there. More emails, postings and flyers around campus or social media talk can increase awareness of the event, students suggested.

Other comments made by Chaminade students were to provide fans or a place on campus with air conditioning for Club Fest.

“The humidity caused a lot of people to turn away rather than stand in the long lines to sign up for a club,” said Tahitian Club’s co-president and senior Taryn Lopianetzky. “Maybe the student Loo Center or the T.C. Ching Conference Center in Eiben can serve as a better location.”

“Also maybe if Chaminade gave out raffles or prize awards throughout club fest, it will make people more excited and want to stay longer.”

Despite the few remarks made on how Club Fest could be improved, each club did an overall great job preparing and decorating their tables, as well as engaging with interested students.

“I thought Club Fest went well,” said co-president of Tahitian Club Ka’ui Perreira. “It seemed to be less of a rush than fall semester.”

Most club officers showed up around 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to prep. First impressions are a big deal, especially for those with a few years experience hosting at Club Fest. There is a ratio of about 60-70 people (students and faculty) that sign up each semester and 40-45 that participate in PIR (Pacific Island Review) and Extravaganza performances.  

Tahitian Club is one of the many clubs that got involved in showcasing their culture through their table display. The club officers take time to handpick flowers and ti leaves around campus. They also provide pareos, shells, headpieces and tri-fold poster boards with pictures of their previous performances, events and community service to attract students.

Tahitian Club, as well as other cultural clubs, played YouTube videos of their club performances and cultural music at their tables. Other clubs, like Samoan Club, handed out lihing mui ice pops to students who signed up, which was convenient in such humid weather.

Some of the popular clubs such as Hawaiian Club, Tahitian Club, Samoan Club and Marianist Club attracted the most people, causing lines that went outside the designated tent area. Tahitian Club, with the longest line for new “clubbies,” gives back to the community by volunteering their time and helping out with Ohana club, feeding the hungry and also teaching elementary school students about their cultural dances.

There were also other clubs like Indigo Lotus and Women’s Empowerment that are popular favorites for the women on campus. Indigo Lotus is a belly-dancing club that performs during spring semester in Extravaganza. Women from other clubs, such as, Hawaiian Club and Tahitian Club are also a part of the Indigo Lotus Club, because of the similarity in dances.

It’s not uncommon to see students being involved in more than one club. For example, Alumni Walter Omalza was involved in every club on campus that performed in both PIR and Extravaganza.

Chaminade Dining also made an appearance at Club Fest, handing out sunglasses and Rockstar drinks to students who would follow them on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). The whole purpose was to give students more information on menu items and promotions.

Another club featured was the Chaminade’s Student Athlete Advisory Committee Club, which is involved with the “Make-a-Wish” foundation, helping to raise money every year through t-shirt sales, car washes and more.

There were a variety of different clubs on campus, all serving the same purpose: To make a difference in the community and to create a bond with other students of all different majors, ethnicities, ages, etc. Club fest is a great way to get involved in something outside of the day-to-day classes and also gives everyone the chance to meet new people and be apart of something. I recommend to students to step out of their comfort zone; you never know what to expect.