Theater Club and Sigma Tau Delta host Halloween Movie Night

Students+sit+on+blankets+and+pillows+on+the+floor+as+they+await+the+showing+of+the+popular+1993+Disney+film+Hocus+Pocus.+

Jolica Domdom

Students sit on blankets and pillows on the floor as they await the showing of the popular 1993 Disney film “Hocus Pocus.”

By Jolica Domdom, Staff Writer

On the corner of 8th and Harding resides a haunting spirit in the infamous Kaimuki House. Multiple accounts have been reported of people being choked, an apparition of a woman with no arms or feet, and unexplainable occurrences in the home. The hauntings of this house have been experienced by a number of residents and neighbors, or at least that’s what they say in the book titled “Obake Files” by Glen Grant.

“The Kaimuki Ghost” was one of the chilling stories read at the Halloween Movie Night event hosted by the Theater Club in collaboration with Sigma Tau Delta in the Loo Theater on Saturday, Oct. 24, from 7 p.m. to midnight. It consisted of the showing of two films, “Hocus Pocus” and “The Conjuring,” followed by scary stories and pumpkin carvings.

Upon entering the Loo, a black veil covered the doorway into the dark theater. The whole room was surrounded by a black curtain with pillows and blankets laid out in the center of the floor. A table was decorated with cobwebs, spiders, and a head of a werewolf that guarded the pizza, cookies, and apple cider.

Shannon Gray dressed as a colorful cat, while Ches Bond poses as Batman at the Halloween Movie Night.
Jolica Domdom

“We decorated the Loo in half an hour,” said Claire Paul, president of the Theater Club and Staff Writer. “We played around with a fog machine and found tons of decorations in the prop room. Overall, it was a good turnout with good movies and good food.”

The night began with the showing of the 1993 Disney film “Hocus Pocus,” which is about three witches who become resurrected on Halloween night. Students sat on the floor with blankets and pillows as they watched and snacked on kettle corn and candy.

The night proceeded with the reading of scary stories from a book provided by Sigma Tau Delta. Students each took a turn reading stories from the “Obake Files,” which consisted of stories from locals who have encountered hauntings on various parts of the islands. The two most memorable readings of the night were about incidents that occurred close to Chaminade campus, which was the story of the Kaimuki ghost and the faceless woman of the Waialae Drive-In Theater.

To ease some of the fear, students transitioned from the theater room to the lanai outside for some fun and less-spooky, pumpkin carving. Pumpkins and tools were provided and students grouped together to create their own festive carvings.

Multiple students dressed up for the event on Saturday night. Ches Bond, a criminal justice major with a minor in communications, arrived as the well-known vigilante, Batman. Shannon Gray, a senior majoring in communications and CUH Newspress Staffer, came dressed as a colorful pink cat with yarn hair. Even Ashley Taylor, vice president of Theater Club, came dressed in a dinosaur onesie.

“I think our Halloween event turned out a lot better than what was expected,” said Taylor, a junior and forensic science major. “I was kind of worried because this event was so last minute and the flyers went up a little late. But it was also really great to do this event in collaboration with the Sigma Tau Delta.”

The last activity of the night was the showing of the supernatural horror film, “The Conjuring.” The film is based on a true encounter from the famous paranormal investigators and demonologists, Ed and Lorraine Warren. The Chaminade students with the bravest souls stayed to watch the film, while others decided it was time to call it a night and go home.

“It’s been so much fun,” said Stephanie Wong, a junior and communications major. “I love Halloween events, the candy, the scary movies, and the food. Basically, Halloween is the best holiday ever.”