Taking a step toward victory lane

Chaminade softball is on the rise and not looking to slow down in the final stretch of this season. With only 11 games left, the Chaminade Silverswords have improved tremendously compared to last year. They are currently 14-21, which is a huge improvement from last year  when the Silverswords finished with 14 wins in total. A change has happened over a year and they have matched last years margin of victory.

Despite their losing record there are many positive points to look forward to. This year the Silversword roster only had two seniors, which makes it hard to believe because younger teams tend to struggle throughout the season. Seniors Dawn Dela Cruz and Shalin Yamaguchi took on this year and made it all they could. So far they have no complaints considering its the best season they’ve had in their four year career with the Silverswords. The Silverswords play their senior night this friday.

” This year has been memorable because everyone worked towards the same goal, which brought a lot of team chemistry,” Dawn Dela Cruz said.

Team chemistry is what brings a team together to play like a unit. Without team chemistry it is very difficult to become successful.. With only five girls returning from last year, team chemistry was a huge factor for this season. The Silverswords beat opponents such as Dominican University, Birmingham Young Hawaii University, and Notre Dame. In their most exciting game of the season this year, senior Dawn Dela Cruz scored her first home run to allow the Silverswords to beat Notre Dame. Not only did she hit her first home run but it was considered a grand slam for driving in four runs. It was a great win for the program and a lifetime memory made for Dela Cruz.

“Our team had timely clutch hits that allowed us to win games,” said Theresa Caploch, a sophomore outfielder.  “This year was clutch.”

The Silverswords’ biggest accomplishment this year was winning the bronze bracket in California. They have never placed in the tournament and they won the Bronze bracket by taking down schools such as Montana State-Billings & Western Oregon.

The Silverswords take on their rival Hawaii Pacific University in their final home game of the season on Friday.