Chaminade Silversword

The student news site of Chaminade University of Honolulu

Chaminade Silversword

Chaminade Silversword

Opinion: Anime Should Be Taken More Seriously

Mima from the 1997 film “Perfect Blue” is an example of a character people can relate to. (Screenshot from “Perfect Blue”)

Anime is a Japanese style of film and animation. The earliest form of animēshon (a Japanese word for animation that has been shortened to anime) dates back to around 1917. That is over 80 years before I was born.

Although it has gained popularity in recent years, there are still many who cringe at the idea of watching “cartoons.” And from someone who was once in that mindset, I have learned that anime is much more than a simple cartoon show.

“Attack on Titan” was the first anime show that I watched. After viewing episode one in the 4th grade, I found myself wanting to watch more. It was different from any other show I have watched growing up. I don’t know any other shows that would have the main character’s mother get eaten by a giant in the very first episode. 

Anime has allowed me to make new connections and meet new people. At work, I was able to easily connect with our new coworkers because they are also into anime. Different types of “cons” is also a place where fans can connect with each other. Anime “cons” is where fans come together and celebrate their favorite shows or characters. People spend countless hours and plenty of money to cosplay and make their own accessories. It brings them joy and creates positive vibes for those who attend.

According to NPR, more than 55,000 people attended the Anime NYC convention in 2022. It is also believed that the global anime market will reach $53 billion by 2032.

Aside from making new friends, I learned that these anime shows offer more than just a traditional cartoon show. The animation is produced in the Japanese style and is closer to reality, as the characters have more distinct features and movements. These shows also deal with more serious topics and often depict acts of violence. Anime movies such as “A Silent Voice” deal with bullying and the effects of it, which includes depression and suicide. “Perfect Blue,” a 1997 anime film directed by Satoshi Kon, depicts a story of mental health to viewers. Mima, who is the main character of the movie, suffers from multiple personality disorder. Viewers will see how this affects her and how she tries to overcome this hardship.

People who watch anime find themselves connecting to these characters because of how relatable they can be. Many times, these characters seem to be going through exactly what we go through in their respective shows. Daily struggles with emotions or the ability to overcome loss of family and friends, are examples of how people can relate to these characters.

I’m sure there are people who are discouraged from giving anime a chance because of toxic “weebs” in the community. There are some in the community that tend to be toxic based on what shows you watch or just harassing. The actions of those few don’t represent the majority of anime fans. Anime brings out the best in people, from sparking their imagination/creativity to allowing people to meet and make new friends. 

When people start to realize that anime is more than just some silly genre of cartoons, they will be introduced to a vast collective of shows that are filled with meaning and purpose.