5 Reasons 2 Wheels Are Better Than 4

With+six+moped%2Fmotorcycle+parking+areas+on+the+Chaminade+campus%2C+its+easy+to+find+close+parking+for+your+2+wheels.+
Jersey Mahiai
With six moped/motorcycle parking areas on the Chaminade campus, it’s easy to find close parking for your 2 wheels.

I live a whopping .9 miles from the Chaminade campus, and though the commute is ridiculously easy, the parking on campus can be a massive headache. The first two years I attended CUH, I drove a car and had to budget an extra 30 minutes (more than 10 times my commute time) to find parking on this campus. In March, I bought a motorcycle, and my life has changed. So, if you’re weighing the benefits of buying a car or moped/motorcycle, here are the five reasons why using 2 wheels here at Chaminade is better than a car.

1. Parking
Here on Chaminade, there are six moped/motorcycle parking locations throughout the school, from the campus bookstore all the way to Kieffer Hall. With all this parking, finding a parking spot for your moped or motorcycle is never complicated. It’s as simple as pulling up to your spot, hopping off, and heading to class. 

In addition, getting around the community will be nearly effortless. Everything is close, and every drive is about 5 to 10 minutes. Since a moped/motorcycle requires less space, it’s easy to find parking in front of the stores or eateries around the area.

2. Permit Costs
Chaminade’s parking permits are sold per semester, and the prices vary on whether you commute to school or dorm on or off campus. Parking permits for cars range from $205 to $270, while mopeds/motorcycle parking permits range from $50 to $120. That $440 of savings is a whole lot of trips to the P.O.D. over the academic year. 

3. More Efficient
Since we share a campus with Saint Louis and Regency Park Apartments, the traffic coming in and out of Chaminade can become congested with parents waiting for their kids or residents waiting to enter their parking structure. Moving about with a moped or motorcycle makes it easier when getting around those lines and through traffic. It’s more efficient than waiting in your car when there isn’t enough space to get around. 

4. Easy on Gas
Mopeds and motorcycles are way more fuel-efficient than cars. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, cars consume roughly 24.2 miles per gallon of gas. On the other hand, mopeds and motorcycles consume roughly 44+ miles per gallon. With Hawai’i gas prices averaging at $4.784, according to AAA, it is easier to save money. 

5. Common and Cheap
If embarrassment or uneasiness is holding you back from getting a moped or motorcycle, know they are common in the area. Many people use them around Chaminade since it’s easier and more cost-efficient. The prices run about $995 and over, depending on whether you get a moped or motorcycle. Moped registration is $27, safety checks run at $13, and no moped insurance is needed here in Hawai’i. For motorcycles, the registration will vary in the hundreds depending on the type of bike you get, safety checks run at $20. 

To top it off, there are a couple of moped dealers and shops within a mile of Chaminade. 

Closest Moped Shops

Moped Direct: 750 Kapahulu Ave (1.0 miles from Chaminade)
Moped Direct Website
Phone Number: (808) 732-3366

The Moped Shop HI: 934 Kapahulu Ave (0.8 miles from Chaminade)
Phone Number: (808) 600-8898

Moped/Motorcycle Hawaii Information
General Information
Motorcycle/Moped License Information