Lets go to the dog park

My 2-year-old Rottweiler Diesel is a 130-pound baby. When he went to the dog park for the first time, he was shy and reserved. He tried to escape the other dogs by sitting on my lap.

Now, two years later, he is a happy beast at the dog park, gleefully playing – tongue out and smiles all around – and dominating other dogs.

Seeing Diesel’s quick change just underscores the importance of dog parks for the pets, not only for the fun of running around and smelling butts but to socialize and become familiar with one another.

At the dog park, several people have told me what a transformation their dogs have made in socialization and interaction. Because they are rescue dogs and were abused and mistreated, they were left with horrible social skills and fear. But after a few friendly sessions at the park, these dogs are now some of the happiest and friendliest there.

“These valuable experiences can help guard against the development of fear and aggression problems around other dogs,” according to ASPCA.org.

However, when dogs are in a dog park, precautions should be taken into account. You must consider if your dog is a threat to other dogs, if it is healthy and whether you have the ability to handle your dog. If you aren’t able to take any precautions, then stay home.

I have taken to my dog to the dog park and suffered through many bad experiences. Owners that take their aggressive dogs to the dog park should not go there. They are a threat to the other dogs that are there to have a good time.

Many people take their dogs to the dog park without having any precautions in mind, being unprepared for dogfights caused by extremely aggressive dogs. Dogs also can get sick and diseases because of the lack of vaccinations.

“Healthy, vaccinated dogs are at low risk of becoming ill as a result of visiting the dog park,” according to the ASPCA.org. “There are health risks any time your dog interacts with other dogs, just as there are for us when we interact with other people.”

Getting your dog vaccinated can better prevent diseases, fleas, ticks and heartworms.

When at a dog park, you feel a sense of being a parent. You start to follow them around, and it’s almost as if you were at the park with your child, watching them and seeing their interaction with the other dogs. By watching your dog, you can tell if he or she likes the other dogs.

“Many behavior problems in dogs are caused by a lack of physical and mental activity,” according to the ASPCA.org. “Taking your dog to the dog park is part of the mental processing of socialization and interaction with other dogs.”

Every time you take your dog to the dog park, the socialization improves. Over time, getting along with the other dogs will become easier and less stressful for the both of you.

“At the dog park, your dog gets practice reading a variety of other dogs’ body language and using her own communication skills, and she gets used to meeting unfamiliar dogs on a frequent basis,” according to ASPCA.org.

Don’t be alarmed by the odd rituals may happen at the dog park that are normal to their breed. Butt smelling and humping is socialization and domination. They are just getting to know each other in doggy language.

“It’s essential for young puppies to meet and interact with a variety of different dogs during their socialization period, from about 3 to 16 weeks of age,” according to the ASPCA.org.

Being prepared for going to a dog park can make a better experience for you and your dog. Your dog can see his friends and you can watch your dog let loose.