Catching Up With Lee Bailey

Lee+Bailey+celebrates+the+Pac+West+Championship.+

Photo courtesy of Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey celebrates the Pac West Championship.

By Dan Mangum, Staff Writer

On Monday, January 23, the Chaminade Silverswords men’s basketball team took on Holy Names University in McCabe Gymnasium. The Swords finished with a win 92-79. For Chaminade students a familiar face was back in McCabe Gymnasium. Lee Bailey, a 2015 graduate of Chaminade, was one of the best guards the school has ever seen. Bailey started 104 games, ending his career sixth on the school’s all-time scoring list with 1,426 points as well as being fifth in steals and seventh in assists.

More importantly he brought a positive energy to the campus and served as a role model for many students. For all he gave to the university he remains very grateful for what Chaminade gave to him.

“It’s always great being back at Chaminade,” Bailey said. “I always feel the love being back on the island and get all the memories coming back on and off the court. The things I miss most about Chaminade are the nice and supportive people, the weather, representing the school on the court and battling for championships.”

Former Chaminade guard Lee Bailey sticks with his passion for basketball working with the Golden State Warriors. Photo courtesy of Lee Bailey

The skills that Bailey learned on and off the court have translated greatly since his graduation. While at Chaminade, Bailey was a team captain for two years and often times was a mentor to the younger players and students on the team. Because of his natural leadership abilities he has found himself a position as an assistant college basketball coach for Holy Names University, a private co-educational institution in Oakland, Calif., all while finishing up his MBA that is expected to be completed this May.

“Lee was a great teammate and player as well as a natural-born leader who has a lot of passion for the game,” said former teammate and current Silversword Kiran Shastri. “I’m really happy to see him succeed at Holy Names not only as a coach but also a mentor to his players.”

In addition to Bailey’s leadership skills, he was often known on campus for being a charismatic, smart student who used his marketing abilities to bring supporters to the gym to watch the Silverswords play.

“He was always very positive and energetic,” said former advisor Dr. Cliff Bieberly. “He was one of those kids you really wanted to work with and help.”

Bailey has since used those skills to land himself a part-time job with the Golden State Warriors working in event management and special events. Upon graduation in May, Bailey is planning on what’s next for his career.

“I think Chaminade gave me a wide variety of tools that have helped me feel confident in my different jobs and internships that have set me up to be very qualified in a wide variety of fields,” he said.

With those skills and talents Bailey is interested in pursuing a coaching career at the collegiate and professional level as well as showing a passion for marketing work in the sports and entertainment industry.