Lauren Ishii contributes to CUH women’s soccer growing success

Lauren+Ishii+prevents+a+goal+against+Westminster+University+in+the+Silverswords+second+game+of+the+season.+

Chaminade Athletics

Lauren Ishii prevents a goal against Westminster University in the Silverswords second game of the season.

By Alexis Bennett, Staff Writer

Lauren Ishii had played soccer practically her entire life, but as her senior season at Mililani High School was coming to an end, she figured she was done with playing and was looking forward to just being a college student.

But after she collided twice with a forward in a first-round win in the Hawaii state tournament, Ishii decided to continue playing, knowing she didn’t want to end her career with an injury.

Chaminade is grateful that Ishii decided to play after high school. The 5-foot-2 goalie has started every single match in her Lady Swords career, was named the team’s Most Outstanding her sophomore year, most Inspirational Player in the 2014 season, and was an Academic All-PacWest Conference honoree as a junior.

“Well winning would be nice and every year we are getting better,” Ishii said.

With Ishii in goal, Chaminade women’s soccer has slowly improved throughout the course of four seasons. After a 0-15-1-freshman campaign in which she led the PacWest in saves, the Lady Swords won one match her sophomore year and set a school record with three wins last year.

In 2013, Ishii was nationally ranked fifth it both total saves and saves per game. Her defense in goal has tremendously helped the Silverswords ability to win, and the lady swords won five games with Lauren in goal. Last year, she was ranked sixth in the Pacific West Conference with a program-record 78.4 save percentage.

Lauren has been the difference in our growing success because of her inspirational work rate and the skill she possesses. At every practice she trains to improve herself and the team,” said senior defender Kristen Fujinaga. 

Although the women’s soccer team only has one win this season Ishii has played 549 minutes, and has a total 39 saves throughout the six games played. She is determined to make her senior year count on the field and also has a goal to create close bonds with her teammates for their last season together.

Teammate Fujinaga described Ishii with a William Shakespere quote, “Though she be but little she is fierce.”

“Lauren is probably the smallest goal keeper in the PacWest, but having quick reactions and good read on the game. She helps lead the team by example, and she is one of the huge reasons why this program is sucessfully growing,” said Fujunaga.

Ishii was also very humble when talking about last season’s win against Academy of Art; Chaminade’s first win in the mainland for women’s soccer.

“I appreciate my teammates for doing all the hard work in the field, it was a big team win and a big step for the program,” she said. Ishii made three stops in the match and along with that came her fourth shutout.

“I got to meet great people on my team and great people in general,” Ishii said.

The Mililani high school alumna says that coming to Chaminade was the best decision she has made in her life so far. She was able to stay in touch with friends from high school and got to meet great people on her team and on campus.

After completing her college career, Ishii would like to continue her education, and go into the graduate program here at Chaminade. She strives to become a second grade teacher after she graduates the masters program.

“After working at Summer Fun for the past three years, I’ve had the second age group which I really enjoyed. I like this age because they are still young enough they’ll listen to you. However I would be happy teaching at any elementary level,” said Ishii.