From Chaminade to the White House, Twitter and Beyond

elisa cicinelli

Chiko Hoge is a class of 1997 Chaminade Alumni.

By Rachel Kamita, Staff Writer

Class of 1997 Chaminade alumni, born in Canada, Chiko Hoge has gone on from the classrooms of Chaminade to amazing opportunities working in places that people only dream of. Chaminade has been giving students the tools they need to achieve the goals and dreams that they have for themselves. 

“Most individuals in my classes were working professionals, balancing a full-time job with full-time studies,” said Hoge. “It was a common thread we shared, despite the differences in our backgrounds or undergraduate studies.”

Hoge graduated with a double Masters in Business Administration in Accounting and Science in Criminal Justice while working as a Special Agent with the Hawaii State Narcotics Enforcement Division. A few years later she transitioned from the state to federal law enforcement where she became a Special Agent for the US Secret Service.

“For over 10 years, I was responsible for security advances and protection for the President of the United States, the Vice President, former presidents, secretaries, as well as conducting criminal investigations throughout Southeast Asia,” said Hoge

Working for the Secret Service gave her many opportunities to travel to countries like Australia, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, China, Mongolia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Bangladesh. “It was during this time that I developed my leadership, communication and diplomatic skills, as I was involved in the planning and negotiations with various different government officials, hosts, venues, and staff,” said Hoge.

While in the Secret Service, she also conducted training throughout Southeast Asia, and the International Law Enforcement Academy in Thailand, Hungary and El Salvador. After working in Los Angeles for a few years, she transitioned to the private sector and became the head of Global Protective Services for Twitter in San Francisco.

“Twitter was an interesting place to work, full of brilliant individuals, creative ideas, and a diverse workforce,” said Hoge. “It was a fast-paced, semi-startup environment, where I was able to apply my business background into operations.”

Hoge is currently the Vice President and Chief Security Officer of a major organization in New York City.

Through all of the experience accumulated in her career, Hoge has learned many life lessons that have helped her to make the most of the opportunities that came her way.  She is a driven, hard worker that has made a place for herself in the world. Here is some advice she has for Chaminade students and soon to be graduates.

1. Learn to prioritize. This will help you to be as efficient and effective as possible.
  2. Embrace change.  Change can open doors to things you never would have considered or experienced.
  3. Respect others. Appreciate differences and diversity, as it’s what makes our world so interesting and beautiful.
  4. Network. Get involved with fellow students, join professional organizations, or volunteer for a cause you believe in.
  5. Work hard. Work hard. Work hard.

“One of my favorite quotes is ‘Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,”‘ said Hoge. “I encourage you to try something new; keep an open mind and embrace differences. Life will be an adventure that has many chapters. And it’s ok if you don’t know exactly what you want to pursue, build or do. If you are willing to move outside of your comfort zone, you just may be surprised at what you can do, the people you will meet and the memories you will create. I would also encourage students to pursue things that they are passionate about and enjoy. Whether it is your professional focus or a hobby, having an outlet like this can be extremely fulfilling.”